As a personal fitness trainer and corrective exercise specialist. I have many requests from potential clients that have had joint replacement surgery. Joint replacement surgery is a very serious matter. There are certain protocols and procedures one must take and perform that they want the best possible outcome. I specialize in clients that want to get fit and have joint replacement surgery. There are certain guidelines that a client can take to make sure the procedure goes as smoothly as possible. Guaranteeing an end result of pain-free movement and going back to an active lifestyle. Here are a few recommendations that can help a client return back to their lifestyle efficiently, safely, and the least downtime.
- It is advisable to partake in an exercise program to strengthen the muscles around the joint that will be replaced. To give an example if the shoulder needs to be replaced. It would be a good idea to perform special exercises that will keep the muscles around the shoulder stable, flexible, and strong. Now this is a very personal matter. Because if the client is in pain. the personal trainer has to adjust to work out accordingly so there is no discomfort or irritation to the client It takes a very knowledgeable trainer that knows the procedure of the joint replacement to carry out this pre-rehab program. The whole goal should be to keep the client moving and all the muscles around the joint active with the least pain as possible.
- After the joint replacement procedure. the client will go through a physical rehabilitation program prescribed by the doctor This could take anywhere from 12- to 30 weeks. At this time, the at-home personal trainer can come to the clients home and stretch and move the other parts of the client’s bodies.The client is advised to move as much as possible around the area that is being replaced An example is if it’s a shoulder replacement. The client can perform some leg exercises, abdominal movements, and brisk walking.
- After the client has finished with their physical rehabilitation program. The personal trainer can take over and start exercise the client slowly and passively through a safe range of motion in their joint replacement area. Along with giving them exercises for the rest of the body. This way the client is insured that they won’t lose any movement, stability, and strength in the joint that was replaced.
- It is advisable that the client also works with a fitness trainer with their nutrition A healthy lifestyle regarding nutrition and supplementation can help the healing process.
- One of the advantages of having an at-home personal trainer. is that they come to your home This saves a lot of time driving back and forth This can be a disadvantage the client because they might not be able to drive efficiently and safely. When the personal trainer comes to their home. This is a tremendous convenience to the client.Also in regards to moving around the gym. Being in your home and having the personal trainer being all the necessary equipment is a tremendous advantage to the client. Also the client does not have to wait for equipment because they are at home.