Today more and more overweight people are diabetic. When they try to engage in a weight loss and exercise program. They run into a roadblock. Diabetes is a very serious issue. It takes a experienced and knowledgeable personal trainer to work with the client that is diabetic who is looking to lose weight and be active more. As a at-home personal trainer that works with my clients in the Delray Beach and Boca Raton area. I have many requests from clients that are diabetic who are looking to change themselves through weight loss. Here are my tips on how to safely lose weight and exercise if you are diabetic.
- Diabetes is a very complex disease. Diabetics have a problem making insulin. This is a problem wit comes the metabolism and weight loss. This is why it’s very important for a personal trainer to be knowledgeable on how to maintain proper insulin levels with the client.
- As a personal fitness trainer. I give my diabetic clients my five way fitness nutritional and exercise journal. In this journal we record not only exercises performed. Also keeping a journal of the food intake throughout the day of the client. This way the trainer has a good idea what the client is eating that can help them or hurt them. Journaling is one of the best ways to develop healthy nutritional habits and help with lifestyle modifications.
- Every diabetic is different. That’s why I just think the proper amount of fats, proteins and calories and nutritional program is very important. For the diabetic nutrition is the key especially to weight loss. Eating smaller meals with proportionate amounts of proteins, carbohydrates and fats is very important. Also snacking when energy or sugar levels drop can help with the diabetic maintaining their weight loss program.
- Because diabetics go to the bathroom more often. It is important to make sure that the client is well hydrated. Going to the bathroom excessively can cause severe dehydration and could lead to other complications. Having a personal trainer make the client aware to hydrate themselves is very important. The key to hydration is drinking water. Staying away from sodas or sugary juices.
- By journaling the personal trainer can help the diabetic weight loss client with sugar cravings. Making sure the client has eaten often and does not have a sugar drops and cravings is one of the keys to weight loss success. Since clients have a problem with insulin. Staying away from sugar products is very important.
Food journaling is very important for diabetic weight loss success. Because the personal trainer and the client can work together and make smart choices in favor of their weight loss goals. Just telling someone what to eat without monitoring it does not work. It’s best if the client writes down what they eat and it’s reviewed the following day. This will also help with the exercise session. The client will be well-nourished and and have energy and stamina to complete a personal one-to-one work out with the fitness trainer.