Many adults start to lose their mobility and strength as they age. Many consider this a natural part of the aging process. It is not. The problem lies in how we take care of our bodies and health. There is a part of the population that maintains its strength (muscle mass) and mobility at a later age. But unless we have a fitness program that incorporates strength training and other exercises specific to the individual, we will lose our strength and the ability to move properly.
As a personal fitness trainer and corrective exercise specialist, I am hired by many adults who have lost their strength and mobility because they have stopped being active. The cause comes in the form of many reasons such as accidents, injuries, lack of motivation or knowledge on how to start or maintain an exercise program. This is where a great personal trainer comes in, especially if they can come to your home. At-home personal training is the best way for adults to get in shape. It’s convenient, time-saving, and comfortable because it’s your home or community gym. It’s safe because a specialist is constantly with you making sure all the exercises are performed safely and properly. Having a fitness trainer help you go through a workout is the most effective way to reach your fitness goals. A trainer can assess your needs and prescribe the proper exercises you need to reach your goals.
Here are some Key Points that are important when working with a fitness trainer:
- Is the trainer educated and experienced in your specific type of goals?
- Did the trainer perform a full assessment of your movement patterns and strength levels? Physical rehabilitation programs help adults achieve greater fitness results.
- Did the trainer take the time to ask you questions about your past health history, injuries, and medications?
- Did they have you fill out a Para Q form (general activities questionnaire)?
- Do they have a background and experience in Physical Rehabilitation?
- Do they have other special modalities such as a Massage License, Neuro Kinenic Therapy practitioner or Physical therapist?
- Is there chemistry and compatibility with the trainer so you both can work as a team?
All these key points are very important when looking to hire a fitness trainer. Once you have found the right person, getting help and starting is a lot easier and fun. That is what a fitness program should be. Exercise is supposed to make you feel strong and active, not tired and sluggish.
Strength and mobility is vital for adults. Most accidents, such as falls or slips, happen because adults don’t have the strength and/or power to maintain and stabilize their fall. This is where a good strength training program will help. Additionally, these practices will help you overcome injuries such as broken hips, torn shoulder muscles, and head injuries. Strength training and mobility work is a great way to keep those areas functioning properly.
Michael Metchikian NASM, CPT, CES, PRT, NKT Level 3
Michael services the Broward and Palm Beach Area. He uses many protocols to help his clients become pain-free and exercise correctly. Private studio available and at-home personal fitness training offered.